Warming up for Winter: Boost Your Immune System
Whether you’re comfortable in the cold or wished summer would never end, winter has undeniably returned for another year. As temperatures lower, so too can your immune system’s capacity to fight off the bugs that cause colds and flu’s. So just how do you boost your immune system to avoid all the bugs going round at this time of year?
Riding public transport, working in an office and/or having kids at school provide ample opportunities for the whole family to be exposed to others who are sick. Airborne pathogens, as well as those present on shared items (e.g. bathroom taps and communal kitchens) can pose additional threats. Altogether, a winter weakened immune system combined with increased exposure to infection-causing bugs, results in the ideal scenario for a cold or flu to strike; leaving you coughing and sneezing, with a sore throat and feeling under the weather!
Are Antibiotics My Best Option?
Cold and flus are primary reasons for visits to the doctor, where antibiotics are commonly prescribed. While appropriate for treating bacterial infections, colds and flus are generally caused by viruses and there is little antibiotics can actually do to fight them. If you are or a family member are sick right now or if you get sick often, Natural Medicines can not only help fight these infections but also boost your body’s immune system to reduce your risk of getting sick.
Immune Boosting Super Heroes
Build a strong, resilient immune system with the help of probiotics, herbs and nutrients:
- Zinc: This key mineral assists your immune system in functioning optimally, and helps to reduce the severity and duration of a cold or flu.
- Andrographis: This heroic herb can reduce the duration of cold symptoms thanks to its immune-stimulating actions.
- Medicinal mushrooms such as cordyceps, coriolus, shiitake and reishi: Individually, each species of mushroom has demonstrated remarkable effectiveness in enhancing the immune system, and can assist in resolving short-term, chronic and recurrent infections. What’s more, this combination of mushrooms provides symptomatic relief of upper respiratory tract infections, including reducing mucus congestion.
- Not all probiotics are equal! Probiotic strains Lactobacillus plantarum HEAL9, Lactobacillus paracasei 8700:2 and Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG®): This exclusive blend of probiotics has been clinically demonstrated to reduce the frequency, severity and duration of upper respiratory infections such as colds and influenza. This combination of probiotics has been proven to help restore immune control and boost under active immune responses.
Super Boost Your Immune System
Give your immune system a head start by incorporating these healthy habits into your diet and lifestyle:
- Eat fresh fruits and veggies: Aim for at least two serves of fruit and three cups of vegetables daily. Fill your plate with a rainbow of colour to provide nutrients and antioxidants to help build strong immunity. Lightly cooked vegetables are a nourishing option in winter.
- Eliminate inflammatory foods: Sugar, refined carbohydrates, dairy, and wheat can all be inflammatory and may suppress immune function.
- Reduce stress: Stress steals energy and nutrients from your immune system, leaving you susceptible to getting sick. Enjoy the benefits of scheduling time out, meditation and time spent in nature.
- Exercise regularly: Remaining active not only makes you feel good; it also reduces the frequency of contracting a cold by up to 46%.
- Sleep soundly: Aim for seven to eight hours of sleep each night to restore energy and allow your immune system to regain its strength and resilience.
Embrace Wellness, Embrace Winter
If winter for you means multiple colds, days off work or catching yet another flu from a sick family member or colleague, embrace immune-boosting Natural Medicines and let this be your season of change.
If you are a current patient of ours, have visited our clinic in the past 6 months, and you have no new health issues – email us if you would like to order a supply of the above-mentioned exclusive blend of probiotics which has been proven to help restore immune control and boost underactive immune responses. It has been clinically demonstrated to reduce the frequency, severity and duration of upper respiratory infections such as colds and influenza.
If you have not seen us for a consultation in over 6 months, we would need to see you for a consultation before prescribing any immune support. Book your appointment now. We are also now offering acute immune consultations for people concerned that their immune health needs extra support.