MTHFR Gene Test
MTHFR stands for methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. An MTHFR gene test can ascertain whether an individual has one of the common genetic mutations which leads to methyl folate deficiency, and can verify when supplementation of this special form of folate is warranted.
Genetic polymorphisms in the key enzyme MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) can lead to a L-methylfolate deficiency which is not detected by standard folate blood tests. MTHFR polymorphisms, and thus lowered L-methylfolate levels is associated with symptoms and conditions such as mental health disorders, cardiovascular disease, obesity and birth defects.
Common symptoms and conditions associated with MTHFR polymorphisms:
- Alcohol withdrawal seizure
- Increased breast cancer risk (women >55 years)
- Cardiovascular disease: thromboembolism, atherosclerosis, and myocardial infarction
- Neural tube and other birth defects
- Colorectal neoplasias
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Dementia and memory loss
- Reduced lean body mass and increased body fat
- Depression and irritability
- Elevated homocysteine
Book an online consultation or a face to face appointment at our Brisbane or Graceville clinics with one of our naturopaths and let us help you understand if methyl folate deficiency is an underlying cause of your health issues.
A test pricing guide is available here.