Methylation Test and Genetics
The Methylation test panel is an innovative testing solution that looks at whether your methylation cycle is working effectively.
What Is Methylation?
Methylation is a chemical process that happens billions of times per second in every cell of the body. Methylation is a process where certain nutrients called ‘methyl donors’ are added to specific elements of DNA, our gene markers and proteins that keep them physiologically active. Methyl groups are transferred and donated between many different molecules which change their structure and function. Methyl groups act like billions of switches which turn genes on or off, help regulate mood, detoxify hormones, produce energy, and promote healthy aging.
Vitamins, minerals, and amino acids from the diet are needed to keep this process running smoothly. There are also genetic factors and oxidative stressors which can affect how well this pathway works.
Methylation is a major pathway to focus on in understanding autoimmune and neurological diseases such as multiple sclerosis, seizure disorders, dementia, chronic fatigue syndrome, lupus, depression, anxiety and autism spectrum disorders. Methylation is responsible for making, maintaining and repairing DNA.
The methylation cycle is a biochemical pathway that manages or contributes to a wide range of biochemical functions: detoxification, supporting DNA (turning genes on and off), producing energy, reducing inflammation, synthesising neurotransmitters, homocysteine metabolism, protein methylation, phase 2 liver detoxification and supporting immune function. Inadequate methylation capacity can lead to birth defects, depression, cognitive decline, and cancer. Impaired methylation has even been associated with autism. Support of methylation markers has been associated with rapid return of speech, improvement of behaviour in ADD and ADHD spectrums.
Methylation Genetic Testing
We have testing available for assessing ones genetic variations relating to Methylation, such as:
- MTHFR 677
- MTHFR 1298
For more information about the testing we have available to assess genetics, please refer to our myDNA Health and Methylation panel.
The below offer applies only to the myDNA Comprehensive Health and Methylation Panel, and available only in Australia:
- Purchase the myDNA Comprehensive Health and Methylation Panel for $350, and get the report and interpretation guide emailed to you. Please contact us for details on how to purchase this kit.
- Get one of our practitioners to request it for you during an initial consultation for $261. (Initial consultation fees apply). Book your initial consultation here.
- It is highly recommended to book in for a results interpretation appointment, for the practitioner to personalise recommendations and further relevant nutrient testing if deemed clinically relevant. (Only for patients that have already attended an initial consultation at our clinic)
We also have testing available to assess the level of nutrients involved in the methylation cycle, such as:
- 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate (5MTHF)
- Folinic acid
- S-Adenosyl Homocysteine (SAH)
- S-Adenosyl Methionine (SAMe)
- SAMe:SAH ratio
- Tetrahydrofolate (THF)
- Active Vitamin B12
- Serum Folate
Make an appointment with one of our Clinical Nutritionists or Naturopaths to be tested for markers involved in Methylation.
Common symptoms and conditions associated with MTHFR polymorphisms:
- Alcohol withdrawal seizure
- Increased breast cancer risk (women >55 years)
- Cardiovascular disease: thromboembolism, therosclerosis, and myocardial infarction
- Neural tube and other birth defects
- Colorectal neoplasias
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Dementia and memory loss
- Reduced lean body mass and increased body fat
- Depression and irritability
- Elevated homocysteine
What We Can Help With
The team at Perpetual Wellbeing support the health and wellbeing of the whole family. We promote a more scientifically-based approach to natural healthcare, to help detect the root cause of health issues and treat patients for long-term good health.
The team at Perpetual Wellbeing are digestive or gut health specialists, and can help with conditions including food intolerances, IBS,…
All the practitioners at Perpetual Wellbeing have expertise in treating hormonal issues and can support you with concerns relating to…
The team at Perpetual Wellbeing offer food allergy and food intolerance testing. There are many reasons as to why one…
The team at Perpetual Wellbeing have a special interest in female hormone issues and offer various female hormone imbalance test…
Our practitioners may utilise various tests to help establish the root cause of mood imbalances. Neurotransmitter levels, Adrenal dysfunction, nutrient…
We support and help manage a wide range of health issues from intolerances and dietary planning to weight management, skin…
Make Your Appointment Now
Choose your location: