Your secret weapon to chronic disease: Omega 3 Fish Oil Benefits
Chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease and arthritis are common in our society. If you are managing a chronic health condition, you may be interested to learn about the omega 3 fish oil benefits that can help manage and reduce the risk of some of these potentially life-threatening conditions.
Fish oil is a plentiful source of omega-3 fats, particularly EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) which have many therapeutic benefits. Omega-3 is required for the healthy functioning of almost every cell in your body, and is especially important for your brain, heart, and nervous system. Make sure you are getting enough omega-3 – it’s vital to your health!
Omega 3 Fish Oil Benefits
Omega-3 rich fish oil can benefit you, whatever your age or life stage.
- In pregnancy, it helps the baby’s brain develop, and also supports healthy brain and nervous system growth throughout childhood.
- Omega-3 can support healthy mood in adults, and protect memory, concentration and cognitive function as you age.
- It also greatly benefits heart health, reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- The anti-inflammatory actions of omega-3 aid in managing many chronic health issues, particularly relieving joint pain of arthritis commonly experienced in later life.
How Do You Know You’re Deficient?
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential nutrients, meaning they cannot be made by the body and therefore need to be taken in through your diet. While many try to consume omega-3 foods such as oily fish (e.g. salmon, tuna) and nuts and seeds, deficiency is still extremely common in Australia with 80% of adults not meeting the recommended daily intake (RDI) of this essential nutrient.
Testing is available to find out your essential fatty acid levels.
Don’t Settle For Less
If quality is important to you, don’t be tempted by the cheap tubs of fish oil you see in the supermarket. These oils are often rancid (oxidised), giving them an unpleasant fishy odour and taste, and also reducing their health-promoting effects. They may also be contaminated with chemicals such as pesticides, or heavy metals, which may be harmful for your health.
Insist On High Quality Fish Oils
You can be confident your Practitioner at Perpetual Wellbeing will only recommend high quality fish oils made using processes that increase the purity of the oil and reduce heavy metal and pesticide levels, ensuring it remains fresh (and not rancid).
These fish oils undergo stringent quality testing to guarantee that purity exceeds Australian and international standards; with testing showing non-detectable levels of contaminants such as mercury, lead and cadmium. With a focus on sustainability, the oils are sourced from small pelagic fish and harvested using eco-friendly practices.
Four Simple Ways To Reduce Your Chronic Disease Risk
In addition to fish oil, here are some ways to reduce your risk of chronic disease:
- Eat 5-7 serves of fruit and vegetables per day: Fruit and vegetables are full of fibre and other health promoting components that can reduce your risk of heart disease and many other chronic diseases.
- Incorporate more vegetarian meals into your diet: Excessive meat intake, especially red meat, has been associated with heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease. Check out our Bean Minestrone recipe for a quick, easy, healthy and tasty meal idea.
- Reduce your intake of processed foods: This will help minimise the amount of salt and sugar you eat, which will benefit your heart and brain health.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise keeps your brain and nervous system healthy, reducing your risk of chronic disease and optimising the health of your whole body.
To assess your risk of omega-3 deficiency, and reduce your risk of chronic disease, book an appointment with one of our practitioners.