Simple Recipes For Kids
Sometimes, getting the kids to eat healthy foods can be a struggle, especially with brightly coloured, cartoon shaped, “toy included” foods as competition! Here are some of the tricks of the trade and simple recipes for kids that you can use to make healthy food, fun!
1. Core apples and cut into slices to get doughnut shaped pieces
2. “Ice” the doughnuts using coconut yoghurt/fruit puree/nut butter
3. Decorate with berry and muesli “sprinkles”
Banana and Nut Butter “Sushi”
1. Take a wholegrain wrap and coat in nut butter of your choice
2. Place a banana along one edge and roll into the wrap
3. Chop into little slices of “sushi”
Chop a selection of fruit and thread onto skewers
Frozen Yoghurt Bites
1. Take coconut yoghurt and pipe into little “buds” on a baking paper lined tray
2. Pop into the freezer till frozen
Optional: coat berries or small pieces of your child’s favourite fruit in the yoghurt and freeze
Fruit Roll Ups
3 Cups chopped fresh fruit of choice (eg. berries, mango, peach)
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Optional: Sweetener to taste (eg. maple syrup or coconut sugar)
1. Place the fruit, lemon juice (and sweetener if using) in a blender and blend until as smooth as possible.
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
3. Pre-heat oven to the lowest temperature possible (this will depend on your oven).
4. Pour the fruit mix into the tray and thinly cover the base (this should be as thin as possible, without leaving holes).
5. Place the baking tray in the oven and wait! Cooking time will vary depending on oven temperature, but it is done when there are no gooey bits (can be 4-6 hours).
6. If the sides go a little too dry, re-hydrate by rubbing with a bit of water (clean water on your hands is good enough).
7. Let the mix cool, and then peel off the baking paper
8. Using kitchen scissors, cut the sheet into strips (or into fun shapes if the kids prefer).
Simple recipes for kids are often the most effective at getting healthy stuff into their diets. Feel free to share your ideas with us!
We offer Naturopathy and Nutritional Medicine consultations
at 2 convenient locations, Brisbane CBD and Graceville