No Co-Q10 … No Energy
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), also known as ubiquinone, is an antioxidant vitamin used in every cell of the body. Ninety-five percent of the human body’s energy is generated by a process which uses CoQ10. Therefore, those organs with the highest energy requirements—such as the heart and the liver—have the highest CoQ10 concentrations.
Although CoQ10 is produced by the body and exists in some dietary sources, these levels may be insufficient to meet the body’s requirements. CoQ10 levels decrease with age and have also been observed to be low in patients with certain genetic disorders, cardiovascular diseases, muscular dystrophies, Parkinson’s disease, cancers, diabetes.
Also, some drugs, especially a group of cholesterol lowering prescription drugs known as “statins” (Pravachol, Zocor, Lipitor, etc) as well as the Oral Contraceptive Pill have been shown to significantly lower levels of CoQ10. Additional benefits of adequate CoQ10 levels include improved athletic performance, increased energy, healthy heart function, male and female fertility and may play a role in improving migraine headaches.
Not all CoQ10 supplements are created equal – they vary greatly in quality, stability and absorb-ability. It is important to find a practitioner who has access to a CoQ10 product that:
- Has been scientifically shown to absorb through the digestive tract and cross cellular membranes.
- Proven to be stable – a large variation in product stability and product potency exists between different manufacturing techniques.
- Is a natural form of CoQ10. The natural process uses living organisms. CoQ10 also can be synthesised by a chemical process, which produces a distinctively different product that contains chemical compounds not found in the natural form.
- Formulated or taken together with ingredients that provide the transport system CoQ10 needs to cross the membranes mentioned above.
- Has a high enough dose to have a therapeutic benefit.
- Has been studied by respected organisations and scientists.
We offer Naturopathy and Nutritional Medicine consultations
at 2 convenient locations, Brisbane CBD and Graceville