Mens Health Supplements That Work
Australian men are frequently reluctant to seek support for their health, particularly when it comes to hormone-related issues. However, many of the common conditions and diseases that affect men are potentially preventable by improving diet and lifestyle and ensuring regular health-screening practices. In addition, there are a number of supporting mens health supplements that work when prescribed at the right dosage. Take a look at the following statistics:
- Only 1 in 5 Australian men rate their health as excellent – and it’s time to change that statistic.
- Men have a shorter life expectancy than women – living to age 79 compared to 82 years for women – and a higher lifetime risk of many conditions.
- For almost 40% of men, maintaining healthy blood pressure or healthy cholesterol levels is linked to testosterone levels.
- 50% of men who are overweight will also have low testosterone.
So how can we change this? What are the mens health supplements that work?
Some top tips for Aussie Males:
- The antioxidant nutrients vitamins C, E and A are beneficial for men’s health, acting as free radical scavengers and helping to reduce the risk of cell damage. Vitamin C protects against lipid peroxidation, oxidative DNA damage and oxidative protein damage by scavenging peroxyl and hydroxyl radicals. Vitamin E is an important lipid-soluble antioxidant, protecting polyunsaturated fatty acids of cell membranes and LDL from oxidation. Vitamin A is required for the maintenance of healthy epithelial and mucosal surfaces (including the respiratory, gastrointestinal and urinary mucosa).
- Selenium is one of the body’s key antioxidant nutrients. In men, selenium is essential for testosterone synthesis and the formation of healthy sperm and sperm motility. Low selenium levels are associated with suboptimal sperm health.
- If you’re wanting to maintain a healthy heart, supplementation of vitamins B6, B12 and folate may help support cardiovascular health.
- For those concerned about maintaining blood glucose levels, research has shown that chromium provides nutritional support for healthy blood glucose, carbohydrate and lipid metabolism.
- Regular physical activity assists in maintaining a healthy body weight and reduces the risk of many chronic conditions and injuries. Research suggests that exercise may increase the requirements for riboflavin and vitamin B6. Thiamin, riboflavin and vitamin B6 assist the body’s energy-producing processes.
- Day-to-day stress is also a major factor in many men’s lives. Methods to combat stress may include exercise (which releases endorphins, the body’s natural stress-fighting hormones), relaxation, regular sleep patterns and proper nutrition. The traditional Chinese medicine herb Schisandra chinenesis (schisandra) assists with sleeplessness and irritability. Have you ever considered testing your stress hormone levels?
- The herb Rhodiola rosea (rhodiola) supports brain health, relieves fatigue, improves energy and provides support following intense physical and psychological stress.
Book an appointment to speak to one of our Naturopaths and Nutritionists, or your healthcare practitioner for more information about boosting men’s health. Make sure to always read the label and use only as directed. If symptoms persist, see your healthcare practitioner.
We offer Naturopathy and Nutritional Medicine consultations
at 2 convenient locations, Brisbane CBD and Graceville