Getting To The Root Cause Of Your Allergies
Sneezing, Sniffing and Scratching? Allergies Blow! Does your dog send you into a sneezing frenzy? Do certain foods leave you bloated and headachy? Or do pollens and certain grasses leave your skin desperately itchy? If you answered yes, then you know this is a daily reality for you and the millions of people living with allergies such as hay fever, asthma, food allergies and eczema. So why does your body react this way and what can you do to manage it?
Essentially, your body believes that these otherwise harmless substances (animal hair, foods and grasses) are threatening. Hence, when it comes into contact with these substances, known as allergens, your immune system releases large amounts of the chemical histamine. Histamine is like a burly bouncer outside a club: its job is to muscle an allergen out of your body by any means necessary. Some of the ways histamine does this job is by producing redness and inflammation, a running nose, itchy eyes, constricted airways, bloating and diarrhoea; manifestations of allergic disease.
Allergies are Like Onions, They Have Layers
Current approaches to allergy management centre on both allergen avoidance and reducing histamine (e.g. antihistamine medication). But why does your body think these substances are harmful and mount this response against them in the first place? Several contributing factors lead your body’s immune system to respond this way, including:
- Inflammation within your digestive tract (where the majority of your immune system is found).
- Damage to the lining of your digestive tract commonly known as ‘leaky gut’, allowing small particles (undigested food, bacteria and/or toxins) to pass through to the blood stream causing inflammation in other areas of the body).
- Low levels of good bacteria and/or an overgrowth of bad bacteria within your intestine that interferes with your body’s immune response.
Addressing the Roots of Your Reactivity
Truly holistic allergy management encompasses symptomatic relief while also retraining the body’s immune system to tolerate ‘threatening’ allergens. One way you can achieve this is by following an Allergy and Reactivity Reduction Program guided by your Practitioner. This specially designed and professionally supported program incorporates carefully selected herbs and nutrients combined with tailored diet and lifestyle recommendations; to help repair your gut, improve your ability to tolerate allergens, and reduce your reactive symptoms.
The Ingredients That Reduce Reactivity
A number of herbs and nutrients can help you manage your symptoms of allergy and reactivity; by helping to restore balance to your immune system:
- Aller-7®: This unique combination of seven traditional Ayurvedic herbs has antihistamine and anti-inflammatory actions – key to providing you with symptomatic relief.
- Quercetin and Bromelains: These potent antioxidant nutrients help retrain your immune system, minimise respiratory congestion, and reduce mucus production.
- Avoid processed sugar and processed fats: excess calories from these sources are stored as fat, especially around your waistline. They also encourage dysbiosis within your digestive tract.
- Reishi and Shiitake: Medicinal mushrooms support healthy immune system function and neutralise allergens, along with reducing wheeze and excess mucus production.
A Tolerable Diet
Living with allergies doesn’t necessarily mean you have to cut out what you love! Following a prescribed diet in conjunction with specialised supplementation greatly assists in reducing symptoms and building tolerance to allergens. Your Practitioner will recommend a specific dietary plan depending on your symptom presentation and health history. While following the Allergy and Reactivity Reduction Program you will ‘rest’ from foods that may be creating inflammation and damage within your gut, giving your immune system an opportunity to ‘reset’ and become more tolerant. Your Practitioner may also work with you to strategically re-test the foods you have been ‘resting’ from to determine the right amount for you in the future; so you can remain symptom free, while still enjoying the foods and activities you love.
Living with Allergies: Time to Breathe Easy
Now is the time to address those irritating allergic symptoms by tackling the underlying causes. Completing this program can help you gain control of your reactivity and increase your tolerance levels, leading to a reduction in symptoms. Imagine indulging in the foods and activities you enjoy; patting your dog without sneezing, eating the foods you love without bloating, or having a picnic in the grass without itching – now that would be life changing!
If you suspect you may be living with allergies, let us help you identify the root cause and manage you symptoms. Identifying the cause is just the beginning. The team at Perpetual Wellbeing can help you continue to enjoy all the foods and activities you love by helping your body to build tolerance.
Book an appointment online or give us a call on 07 3218 2799.
We offer Naturopathy and Nutritional Medicine consultations
at 2 convenient locations, Brisbane CBD and Graceville